Saturday, September 24, 2005

Saturday I went a wassailing

well, actually I guess I did not - just looked up the word and it means to "go door-to-door singing Christmas carols and requesting in return wassail or some other form of refreshment. In modern times it is most commonly known through reference in various traditional Christmas carols (e.g., "Here we come a-wassailing / among the leaves so green").

But then I looked up wassail and it is:
1. A salutation or toast given in drinking someone's health or as an expression of good will at a festivity.
2. The drink used in such toasting, commonly ale or wine spiced with roasted apples and sugar.
OR
3. A festivity characterized by much drinking.

so Wassailing should be able to contain the meaning of saluting or toasting ... In short, I want to wassail.

Something clearly needs to be done - waiting for Rita. She hit land at Galveston early this morning and is moving closer to the metroplex area by the hour (or at least, it looks like she is going to pass by parallell to the metroplex area and perhaps only give us some gusts of rain and a little wind.) It is so hard to know whether you should be worried (and get extra food and a radio and batteries and stuff) and hunker down or if you should just focus on the stuff on your list and get on with it. I got some extra food and a radio and gas for the car and the grill and now I am getting on with it ... never be decisive when you can find a way to stay on the fence.

What I should be doing is read - Revising Women ... on fiction in the 18th c and the gender issue and how they intersect - if they do, which I hope since I plan to write about it.

What I will be doing is grade essays, all on campus events. But first of all - mow the yard.

No comments: