Sunday, January 10, 2021

43, 43, WTF ... new year, same old stuff

 January 4, 2021

World: 85,653,549 - 1,853,133 dead
US: 20,815,571 - 353,133 dead
Russia:
Texas: 1,827,629 - 28,551 dead
Florida: 1,376,692 - 22,090 dead
Sweden: 437,379 - 8,727 dead

Got back to work and was confused most of the day. I think I can make myself focus better tomorrow - I hope so. Ben n them had lunch with Michael and Courtney yesterday and she tested positive this morning so we cancelled dinner, much to my regret. We did go by and drop the pies and I got to say hi to Cameron at the door. Tired and scared about politics and the runoff election and Wednesday and the threat of violence and the fucking phone call with clear evidence of sedition and the mutated virus and the crappy vaccination schedule and maybe I will never go to Sweden again and never see my mom again and it exhausts me. Jimmy Kimmel is taping his show from home again ....

January 5

Did finally manage to focus a bit and got the emails down and got some people taken care of. Tomorrow I will focus on the changes to the fact sheets, at least after I have participated in the Covid study. Watched the season finale of the Doctor and regained some faith. When she is ready to sacrifice everything she tells the others to "live great lives!" and that I took to heart. Maybe something to put on my gravestone. Yanno, something for folks to take with them. 

I think we are losing the runoff in Georgia, even if the predictions still say blue wins, and I hate to see it happen, for several reasons, including the work Abrams and others have done. Anyway, the fight continues. 

People keep dying and the hospitals are full.

January 6

went for my covid test and gave blood for some other tests too. Not sure what all they checked but that is fine. They will let me know if I am positive or have antibodies or have long term damage from something. Went to campus for a bit and left Tim Minchin for MW. On my way home I figured out the meeting with John and Alice was about to start, but they had done theirs earlier. He told me about Lillehammer - might watch that.

Worked and watched the election certification and then went back to work and Jim came in and told me the capitol was overrun with protestors, the president with Cruz and Hawley committed treason, and then I worked for a bit more and then I just couldn't. Watched TV nervously and thought McConnell and Pence acquitted themselves well. Made a necklace and earrings with brown agate and ended the evening with a Lewis, stomach ache and a fever. Jonas called so I got a bit of an update. Someone at work was unprofessionally lippy and is now gone.

 

January 7

several resignations and some mea culpas but so much too little and so very too late. Questions are being asked about the police response, the lack of national guard units and the cops taking selfies with the mob. Talked to mom for a bit. She is trying to keep track and is so engaged, but a little overwhelmed. I worked some in the middle of all of that, with my stomach still angry and fever coming and going. Bleah. Made the flank steak with bell peppers, onion and heated rice - went down really well. 

January 8

some productive work. Pelosi and others are working on impeachment - unless they can get T**** to resign or induce Pence to trigger the 25th amendment. T**** is banned from Twitter - whatever account he uses. He did at one point broadcast a video saying there will be an orderly transition, but apparently he is now regretting that. Thursday over 4,000 people died and Friday over 300,000 people got infected. Talked with Jonas a bit. Work stressful for him and the environment tough. Hope he finds something better.

January 9-10

Saturday we did some errands - like shredding boxes with the stuff we cleared out Friday night - and then we had lunch with Lauri at El Primo. Good food and service again, but several staff with masks only half on. Had coffee at her house and then got home and watched the Christmas Special Dr. Who. She figured out that she is her whoever she was - maybe we can hold on and hold ourself together maybe there is a there there. Hah! Slept badly and moved to the guest room because the bed was crowded and overheated.

Sunday was Milton and some confusion about whether it was God the father or God the son who chastised Adam and Eve in Eden - Milton says God the son .... weird. Jan's son Mats is getting divorced - doesn't sound too bitter about it, and will stay in the house so probably all good. 

Bits and bobs and updated teh SSEMWG website and did laundry and somehow it got late late. Still processing the insurrection.

World: 90,260,468 - 1,934,784 dead
US: 22,404,484 - 374,322 dead
Russia:
Texas: 1,968,189 - 30,479 dead
Florida: 1,477,010 - 22,912 dead
Sweden: 489,471 - 9,433 dead

No comments: